Get Away Friends Afrocentric Paris -9 Days Tour [11 Apr – 19 Apr 2022]from
Reviews 0 Reviews0/5
Vacation Style Holiday Type
Activity Level Challenging
Group Size Medium Group
On this tour experience Paris & Beyond. Connect to the rich Black Heritage in Paris. Get an authentic taste of traditional France. See where Josephine Baker lived during the height of her long and illustrious career. Continue to South of France, see all the highlights of the French Riviera from Nice to Monte-carlo. Marvel the glamorous city-state of Monte-carlo that draws travelers from around the globe famous for Formula One track and Glitzy Casinos
07 Accommodation in listed hotels or similar based on DBL / TWN sharing basis.
- Daily Breakfast
- 5 Lunch and 2 Dinners
- Entrance to the attractions as specified in the itinerary.
- Transport in private / scheduled touring vehicles
- Hi-Speed train tickets from Paris to Nice.
- Admission to Louvre Museum & Eiffel Tower
- Wine Tasting in Provence
- Services of English-speaking driver/ guide for all transfers and sightseeing
- International Return Airfare ex Los Angeles (please check with us for other Gateways)
- Air taxes and fuel surcharges
- All local applicable taxes
All other meals
- All other sightseeing or Services
- Gratuities for meals, tourist guides, drivers
- Beverages during the meals
- Travel Insurance
- Personal expenses such as alcoholic and other beverages, telephone calls and laundry
- Any other services or Items not mentioned above as included
- Local City Taxes or Resort fee, if applicable to be paid directly at hotels upon check out
Day 1 - 11 Apr, 2022
Los Angeles - Paris
Board your overnight flight to Paris today
Day 2 - 12 Apr, 2022
Paris - Arrival [-/-/D]
Upon arrival in Paris, claim your bags and proceed towards arrival hall. Our representative will meet you and assist you with your transfer to hotel. (Standard check-in time is 3:00 pm)
If you have arrived early, you might like to take a stroll on the streets of Paris.
This evening all participants will gather for dinner in the hotel restaurant where you will become acquainted with your fellow travelers, the coming days can be discussed at leisure with your Tour Guide.
Overnight in Paris
Meals – Dinner
Day 3 - 13 Apr, 2022
Paris - Sightseeing [B/L/-]
Morning enjoy your breakfast. After your hotel pick up you will immerse into Paris’ Black history
Meet your tour guide for their Black Paris Orientation! We will board our bus and proceed to Arc de Triumph 9:30am Meet guests at their hotel for 30-minute Black Paris Tours Orientation providing history and cultural “cues” needed to master Paris.
We will start with stroll to the Arc de Triomphe for their Black Paris Orientation! We then stroll over to the Arc de Triomphe, where your guide tells of the first great wave of African Americans coming to Paris in the 1800s. We describe the exploits of Black soldiers who distinguished themselves on French battle fields during World Wars I and II and the Champs Elysees Mansion where Thomas Jefferson and Sally Hemings came together in 1787, the beginning of a 38-year relationship.
A short bus ride takes us to beautiful Parc Monceau to follow in the footsteps of Frederick Douglass, Dr. W.E.B. Dubois, Henry O. Tanner, Mary Church Terrell, Ida B. Wells, Carter G. Woodson, Countee Cullen, Bessie Coleman, Langston Hughes, and Mary McCloud Bethune. We stroll two blocks to stand before the monument recognizing France’s abolition of the African slave trade in the West Indies and recalling the exploits of Napoleon’s most famous Black general. Steps away, another statue is dedicated to the General’s son, Alexandre Dumas… the most famous French writer in history. A third statue recalls the literary achievements of his son, the dramatist, Alexandre Dumas.
With the Haitian Consulate overlooking this square, you’ll hear the story of Toussaint L’Ouverture, who led the successful 1791 revolt … making Haiti the first free Black Republic in the new world. Another bus ride takes us past the building where author Dumas lived, then past the church dedicated to the African Saint Augustine — a founder of the Catholic Church!
Next, we’ll see the Place de la Madeleine, the church where Josephine Baker’s was given a state funeral April 15th, 1975. We’ll pause at Place Concorde where the guillotine took the heads of thousands during the French Revolution, and where the US Embassy is headquartered. Place Concorde is home to the oldest monument in Paris today, the African Obelisk …. an astronomical device used to chart the sun and the stars at the Temple of Thebes in Luxor, it was brought to Paris in 1831.
We will then head to Olympia Concert Hall. This hall has played host to an amazing line up of legendary African American musical greats — Louis Armstrong, Sidney Bechet, Josephine Baker, the Nicholas Brothers, Hazel Scott, Lionel Hampton, Clara Ward, Nat King Cole, Mahalia Jackson, Nina Simone, Miriam Makeba, Hugh Masakela, Quincy Jones, Cab Calloway, Ray Charles, Chuck Berry, Little Richard, Ike and Tina Turner, the Jackson Five, the Supremes, Jackie Wilson, Jimmy Hendrix, James Brown, Dee Bridgewater, Nathalie Cole, Al Jareaux, Brian McKnight — just to name a few!
We will continue to Opera Garnier – America’s greatest Black operatic talents have graced this stage including Ira Aldridge, Blind Tom, Sissie Retta Jones, Lillian Evanti, Paul Robeson, Grace Bumbry, Gloria Davis, William Warfield, Leontyne Price, Shirley Verrett, Marian Anderson, Mahalia Jackson, Jessye Norman, Janet Baker, Barbara Hendricks.
Head to “Little Africa” to see the colorful outdoor market at Chateau Rouge. You’ll feel as if you’ve been transported to a market in some of the biggest cities of West Africa.
Next drive through historic Montmartre called “The Harlem of Paris” between WWI and WWII. Tour the lesser-known corners in the Latin Quarter, Montparnasse, Lower Montmartre, and the Champs Elysées area, writers James Baldwin, Richard Wright and Diaspora intellectuals in the Latin Quarter. Featured are several Josephine Baker sites, Jazz in 1920s Lower Montmartre around the Moulin Rouge, Sally Hemings, Harlem Hell fighters and sites of artists’ exhibitions near the Champs-Elysees, plus the Alexandre Dumas family statues.
We will stop at African Restaurant for Lunch
Post Lunch, we will visit the Church of the Black Madonna. The church notably contained a Black Madonna, the Notre Dame de Bonne Délivrance (Our Lady of Good Deliverance), also known as the ”Black Madonna of Paris”. The statue dates from the 14th century, replacing an 11th-century version. It is 150 centimeters (59 in) tall, and made from painted limestone. The Virgin wears a white veil and dark blue mantle ornamented with fleur-de-lis over a red robe.
We stop at Place Josephine Baker in the 14th Arrt (Metro: Edgar Quinet) for group photo. Rue Gaitie is where Mme Baker last performed April 10, 1975 at Bobino Cabaret in a show titled “Josephine”. Her body laid in state at Bobino before her funeral cortege made its way to Church of the Madeleine the day of her funeral. April 15, 1975.
You will be dropped -off at the hotel.
Spend the evening getting to know your surrounds. Wander through the leafy boulevards and winding lanes of the French capital, stopping for a leisurely café au lait while watching sophisticated Parisians go by.
Return back to hotel.
Overnight in Paris
Meals – Breakfast & Lunch
Day 4 - 14 Apr, 2022
Paris - Sightseeing [B/L/-]
After breakfast, our Paris sightseeing tour begins with hotel pickup. With your private guide, enjoy exploring the city in a more intimate and personalized setting than a bigger bus tour. Settled comfortably into your private vehicle, pass by iconic attractions like the Arc de Triomphe, the Louvre, the opera house (Palais Garnier), Place Vendôme, Place de la Concorde and the Champs-Elysées.
Then, head to the Eiffel Tower for lunch on the first-floor terrace. Inside a heated transparent bubble dome, indulge in a French-style gourmet meal while enjoying panoramic views of the Seine and Paris.
Later we will proceed for a guided tour of the Louvre Museum, we will start with special Private Tour – Black Images in the Louvre (2 hours): Your licensed guide will take you through many rooms in the magnificent Louvre, pointing out images of Black peoples. Easily overlooked in these large pieces, she will explain the significance of their presence both artistically and culturally.
The guide will continue showing you the main rooms and masterpieces including the Venus de Milo, Coronation of Napoleon I, and the Mona Lisa by Leonardo da Vinci. Gain insight into centuries of rich artistic history. enjoy free time to explore further at your leisure.
Return to your hotel.
Overnight in Paris
Meals: Breakfast & Lunch
Day 5 - 15 Apr, 2022
Paris – Le Vesinet - Paris [B/L/-]
This day will be dedicated” to the “Bronze Venus,” “Jazz Cleopatra”: all nicknames given to the fabulous Josephine Baker throughout her life. Paris was an incredibly special place to the American-born singer — it was here that her explosive career first started. She famously said: “I don’t want to live without Paris… It’s my country. I want to be worthy of Paris.” In a time when the States were not ready to accept performances like hers, Paris welcomed her with open arms.
She decided to live in the Parisian suburb of Le Vésinet, less than a half an hour journey from Paris however, and it is here that her “villa” which is called “Beau Chêne” can be found. She lived there from 1929 to 1947.
After your lunch in Le Vesinet, you will visit the Théâtre des Champs-Élysées. It was here, in October 1925, that Joséphine Baker performed in La Revue Nègre, her first performance in Paris. This is where it really all began. It was in this theatre that she first took to the stages of the French capital, which kickstarted her career.
Your coach will drop you off in the artsy St. Germain-des-Pres district for a 45 minute in the Arts District. In these narrow streets you will see the former home of painter Henry O. Tanner, browse the windows of the street lined with art galleries and discuss the exhibition of African American and African art, plus learn how art and BeBop musicians also thrived in this area.
Return to your hotel.
Spend your evening at leisure exploring the city’s glittering sights at night.
Overnight in Paris
Meals: Breakfast & Lunch
Day 6 - 16 Apr, 2022
Paris - Nice [B/L/-]
This morning after breakfast, check-out and proceed to Luxembourg Garden and meet your tour guide. Explore the Luxembourg Garden and the surrounding area to learn about the histories of such luminaries as Richard Wright, Chester Himes, Alexandre Dumas, and Victor Séjour. View the landscape captured by painter Loïs Mailou Jones and see the contemporary sculpture that commemorates the abolition of slavery in the French colonies. This tour, which involves about 90 minutes of walking and standing, proceeds at a moderate pace. A roughly 5- to 10-minute narrative is made at each stop. Each stop requires standing, but, if weather permits, sitting is possible at some of the stops. Participants should be able to walk the full length of the tour at a moderate pace without having to sit down to rest. The walk requires climbing a flight of thirteen steps.
We will enjoy lunch at A Charming Inn “Auberge” at the heart of the Latin Quarter, right in the Hearth of the Latin Quarter, the restaurant ”LE VOLCAN” welcomes you in a very beautiful and authentic setting. The hewn stones and exposed Beams, the furniture all in woodwork and the tasteful decoration bring an undeniable charm to the place. They propose you a traditional French cooking and provide you warm Rooms.
on the way to Gar de Lyon Station.
After lunch, you will board the high-speed TGV Train to Nice. Upon arrival, Transfer to your Hotel in Nice.
The evening is yours to explore this seaside destination
Overnight in Nice
Meals: Breakfast & Lunch
Day 7 - 17 Apr, 2022
Nice - Provence - Nice [B/L/D]
It is time to go off the beaten track with your local guide and to leave the busy coastal region of the French Riviera to embrace the Provence lifestyle! Immerse yourself in the beautiful wine region of Côtes de Provence. With your wine guide, learn about this terroir: its soil, its climate and about the winemaking process while visiting family-owned wineries and cellars.
You will get a private visit of Chateau de Berne vineyard who produces Côtes de Provence reds, rosés and whites – amongst the best in the region. From the vines to the bottle: Discover the path of making wines with a short stop in the vineyard, a visit of the production cellar followed by a guided tasting of 6 wines accompanied of toast of “anchoïade and tapenade”.
And then, you will enjoy your lunch at the Michelin Star restaurant “Le Jardin de Berne”.
Take the countryside road heading back to the hotel. Rest of the evening is free at leisure.
Overnight in Nice
Meals: Breakfast & Lunch
Day 8 - 18 Apr, 2022
Nice - Monte Carlo - Nice [B/-/D]
Today your local guide meets you in the hotel lobby and takes you to Monaco. On the way, you will stop for a walking tour in Eze Village and visit The Laboratory Perfume Factory Fragonard: Suspended above the sea, on the Moyenne Corniche between Nice and Monaco, stands our perfume, soap and cosmetics factory equipped with the most modern laboratories and workshops. Discover the trade secrets of perfumes and cosmetics in a free guided visit.
Gradually, all the lights appear, from the Palace to the Casino. Then experience the glamorous extravagance of Monte-Carlo by night and enjoy a Gourmet Farewell dinner at the Café de Paris on the Place du Casino is where it all happens, a Monaco hotspot featuring a brasserie ambience and the finest quality products.
This night of magic will end up by a return to Nice via the Base Cornice road where more illuminated seaside will pass before your eyes.
Overnight in Nice
Meals: Breakfast & Dinner
Day 9 - 19 Apr, 2022
Nice - Los Angeles [B/-/-]
And it’s time to say goodbye! You will be transferred to Nice airport for your return flight home. We wish you a safe flight and hope to work on your future trips!.
Thank you for spending the time with us.
END OF SERVICE
(Note that at most hotels, the international standard for the check-out time is 11:00 Am. Should you depart later, baggage may be stored at the hotel. A late check-out depends on availability and may be subject to additional charges).
Deposit: Non-Refundable deposit US$ 200 per person in Twin Sharing
Deposit Date : 25th Feb 2021
50% Deposit: By (30th Oct 2021)
Full Balance: By 60 Days before departure (11th Feb 2022)
Virtually everything! Hotels, most meals, all of the activities described in the itinerary pages, airport transfers and local guides. Experience and professional Tour Directors and local guides will be with you every step of the way, ensuring a worry free vacation.
A well paced and unhurried itinerary is our goal, after all, you are on vacation! Touring days begin and end at reasonable hours and include frequent stops. You will walk for about 2.5 hours daily across mostly flat terrain, including paved roads and cobblestone streets, with few hills or stairs. You should feel comfortable managing your own baggage at times.
While the occasional early morning departure is necessary, we do our best to ensure a leisurely vacation
We consider adequate travel insurance to be essential. Travel insurance is widely available to purchase. It is the personal responsibility of each traveler to ensure that they have adequate travel insurance cover. Please read the policy details carefully. It is each traveler’s personal responsibility to ensure that the insurance cover purchased is suitable and adequate for their particular needs. Voyages Hub will not be responsible or liable for any consequence of any nature arising from the failure to comply with the responsibility of providing for adequate travel insurance cover.
Please contact Jean Freeman for your Travel Insurance Needs
[For insurance details please click (GET AWAY FREINDS’ Greece GROUP INSURANCE DETAILS) [Note – Please refer to page 2 for Cancel For Any Reason – ( Cancel For Any Reason (CFAR) is travel insurance coverage that reimburses up to 75% of Non-Refundable Trip cost. The lesser of 75% of the amount prepaid for the trip or up to the maximum of $20,000) if you have to cancel your trip for any reason not listed in the standard coverage.]
- Cancellations, 100 days or more prior to departure-full credit, (non-refundable deposit & the cost of trip cancellation & interruption insurance is retained),
- Between 99 and 45 days 50% is retained,
- Between 45 and 31 days 85% is retained
- 30 days or less, or no show 100% of the package price is retained.Note: A person becoming a single as a result of the roommate’s cancellation must pay the single supplement.
We use hotels that are closely monitoring COVID-19 updates and adhering to the guidelines that are set by the National Health Organization and WHO. Along with the Government directions are preparing to safely reopen and accept guests with thorough precautionary standards set in place, to ensure a safe, healthy and welcoming environment!
Cleanliness and hygiene standards at hotels are of high importance and they have implemented additional measures that meet the latest guidance on hygiene and cleaning, to ensure the safety of our guests and team daily. The hotels are using cleaning & environmentally friendly products and protocols that are effective against viruses. They are conducting enhanced training and corona virus awareness, updating our team in response to the new standards COVID -19 has set for our well-being, onward
A post signage on entrance door that no one with a fever or symptoms of COVID-19 will be permitted in the hotel Public spaces. They will perform cleaning and disinfection in all public spaces with increased frequency; Hand sanitizers have been placed at all areas and team facilities including lobby, dining outlets and reception desk, bathrooms and offices. The hotels will provide surgical masks and gloves to guests and staff according to the new guidelines . Designated signage at all public areas, notifying guests of keeping social distance, wearing masks, use hand sanitizers.
Elevators, must be used by one passenger at a time, or guests sharing the same room. Still, we encourage you to use the stairs.
Rooms. Key prevention protocols are followed to clean the rooms with particular attention paid to high touch items. A rigorous cleaning after guest depart and before the next arrival. More detailed information is provided in each room
Back of House. Screening of all teams, in each shift before entering the Hotel, for symptoms to Immediately exclude anyone. In the spaces where Hotels team is working we are increasing the frequency of cleaning and focusing on high-touch areas like entrances, locker rooms, laundry rooms and offices
The hotels will ensure to follow Food Safety Policies as well with daily cleaning and disinfection of the kitchen and other food preparation areas, surfaces, proper cooking and storage of food and hygiene practices.
(Please visit individual Hotel Website for Covid-19 related information)
Our suppliers use transport companies, those have implemented to enhance hygiene protocols, to comply with physical distancing requirements by relevant government authorities and to give you peace of mind when you are travelling during these new times.
Following the outbreak of COVID-19, the transport companies have taken additional measures to elevate our hygiene and sanitary practices in accordance with guidance from the World Health Organisation (WHO) and as required, applicable government regulations.
The Driver training provides them with the latest hygiene protocols. They will clean and disinfect all surfaces including handrails, door handles, tables, seats, air-conditioning filters and overhead lockers on a daily basis.
All our guests are asked to follow hygiene practices recommended by the World Health Organisation including the thorough and regular washing of hands and sanitizing when required.
Hand sanitizer will be available on board for your use throughout the day.
Please bring your own washable face mask and gloves with you, and additional hand sanitizer to make you feel comfortable, as these will be required to be worn in public in some countries.
Should an unexpected situation arise, additional face masks, rubber gloves, antiviral sprays and wipes will be available for guest distribution on all trips.
The health and safety of our passengers and employees is our top priority. As questions and concerns arise as a result of COVID-19, our group of companies has taken a number of precautionary measures to provide the highest level of protection for our customers and team.
Our COVID-19 measures include:
- The vehicles interiors are completely cleaned and sanitized daily.
- Drivers now perform a thorough cleaning of the vehicle’s interior surfaces with disinfectant wipes between each trip.
- Drivers have been issued protective disposable rubber gloves and masks.
- With the exception of dispatcher, office staff are now working remotely, from home.
- All employees have been instructed to self monitor, self isolate and seek immediate medical attention if they show any symptoms of COVID-19.
- Under no circumstance will we allow sick employees to report for work.
At this time we don’t know what the exact future effects of Covid-19 will be on tourism in France. We hope that all attractions and hotels included in this offer will reopen and will continue to operate in 2021 but we may have to look for alternatives where this is not the case and we do appreciate your flexibility. We also do not know if social distancing restrictions will continue and so reserve the right to limit numbers on coaches and review prices if appropriate if these restrictions are applied by the governments.
Covid-19 Reschedule: Your tour qualifies from a reschedule to a future date based on government advisories. A mutually agreed date with the tour leader will be announced and all the deposits will be retained for future travel for the same trip.
- In order to enter France, U.S. and Canadian citizens need a valid passport with an expiration date extending at least six months beyond the date of reentry.
- We recommend having at least one blank passport page for entry stamps.
- There is no visa required for U.S. or Canadian citizens.
- If you are not a U.S. or Canadian citizen, you must contact your destination country’s consulate for your specific entry requirements.
- Please note that our travelers are limited to one checked bag and one carry-on bag per person due to storage limitations on motor coaches and other transfers, which may include train connections or flights.
- Contact your airline(s) for baggage size and weight restrictions for your flights, which may include on-tour flights in addition to your round-trip flights to and from tour. Please note that your included on-tour flights may have more restrictive baggage limits.
- Some airlines may impose additional charges if you choose to check any baggage or exceed baggage size and weight restrictions. Be advised that you are responsible for any baggage fees incurred on all flights.
- Make sure you label your baggage and keep valuables, medication, and documents in your carry-on bag.
- We recommend packing lightweight, loose-fitting clothing that can be easily layered to accommodate varying temperatures, as well as a light jacket or rainwear.
- A sturdy pair of walking shoes or sneakers is recommended for sightseeing.
- You may want to pack dressier attire if you plan to visit a high-end restaurant or attend a special performance.
- It is preferable not to visit churches or other religious sites with bare legs and shoulders (and entrance may be denied on this basis).
- There are no major health risks associated with traveling to France.
- At least 60 days prior to departure, check with your doctor or healthcare provider for the latest updates and entry requirements, or visit the Center for Disease Control and Prevention website at cdc.gov.
- If you have medication that you take daily, be sure you have enough for each day of the tour as well as any possible delays encountered.
- If you have dietary restrictions and/or food allergies please notify us at least 30 days prior to your departure by logging in to your account and updating your traveler info. To update this information closer to your departure date, please call our Customer Experience Team.
- France is famous for cheeses, pâtés, cured meats, fresh-baked bread, and fruit. In the cities, sidewalk vendors are known for their steaming crepes, while mouthwatering pastries and hot café au lait beckon from cafes. In restaurants, the prix fixe option is a popular way to enjoy a set three- or four-course menu for a good price.
- Although lunch is generally served from noon until 2pm in France, dinner is served from 7:30pm onward. Those wishing to eat earlier can stop at a cafe, where light entrées and sandwiches are available throughout the afternoon and evening.
- France operates on the European standard 220-240 volts and uses Types C, E, or F plugs with two small, round pins.
- We recommend packing a universal adapter, as well as a voltage converter if you plan on using your own hairdryer or other electrical device without a built-in converter.
- The majority of the hotels on this tour will have air conditioning. The strength of the air conditioning in European hotels is often not as strong or as cool as what you might be used to in the U.S. or Canada. When air conditioning is available, it is usually regulated seasonally and controlled centrally by the hotel.
- Your hotels may provide hairdryers, irons, and other small appliances. However, these amenities cannot be guaranteed.
- Wi-Fi is available in most hotels, though some charges may apply.
- There is no Wi-Fi on any of the motor coaches.
- Please contact your mobile service provider for information on roaming charges.
- France is one hour ahead of Greenwich Mean Time (GMT) and six hours ahead of Eastern Time (ET).
- When it’s noon in New York, it’s 6pm on tour.
- At the conclusion of your tour, it’s customary to offer your Tour Director and driver a gratuity in local currency. Please keep current exchange rates in mind.
- We recommend tipping the equivalent of $7USD to $10USD per person per day for your Tour Director, $1USD per person per day for the bus helper, $3USD per person per day for your driver, and $20USD to $25USD per person for cruise ship personnel.
- If applicable, we also recommend the equivalent of $2USD per local guide.
- In Egypt, tipping is an important part of the local culture and you will be expected to tip for services including, but not limited to, taking photos in some areas or seeing additional exhibits. Travelers should carry small bills (in USD) for this purpose.
- Tips can only be paid in cash.
- You will use the euro on this tour.
- Better rates of exchange are usually available overseas, although it’s worth ordering some currency from your local bank to use when you first arrive.
- We strongly advise that you take debit/bank cards and credit cards, which can be used to withdraw cash at local banks as needed.
- You can use most debit/credit cards at ATMs on the international networks Cirrus and Plus, but make sure to check with your home bank about withdrawal fees.
- Inform your bank and credit card company of your travel plans so that they won’t confuse your international purchases for fraudulent charges.
- International banks and businesses primarily accept debit and credit cards that work with the EMV chip system. If you do not already have at least one debit or credit card with a chip in it, we strongly recommend requesting one from your bank prior to your tour.
Voyages Hub reserves the right to levy a surcharge commensurate to the fuel increase at the time of operation of this movement.